HDD locked up

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS1 (40GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

sahbi,
Are you sure the capacitors are actually bulging, and not just some glue holding them down? I've been caught out by that before. Just a thought.

You say you're obsessed; perhaps it's time to take it out to the barn and give it both barrels. You can pick up much nicer units for peanuts nowadays. I haven't used mine in over three years now. I'm actually thinking of offering it to AndyWilks for his JVC museum.

Good luck though,
A.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm actually thinking of offering it to AndyWilks for his JVC museum
hhhhmmmmmmm .... spares :lol:
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Get yer thievin ands off! :)
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

LOL ... watch out, if your not using it, i might just nip round and relieve you of the HDD in it .... you probably wouldnt even notice :P
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Well, I do actually have a spare lying around somewhere. Who knows, I might move it on one day...
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

i have one i can rebuild and reformat/load with the image i think, too ... i also have a virgin 80gb with image on it that has never been used with the right eprom :P

although... i think sahbi would snap your hand off :P
sahbi

Post by sahbi »

OMG you guys it LIIIIVEESS!!!!

I was pressing hard on 2 of the caps that i felt were faulty, one was on its side like the tower of Pisa, its a big one next to a metal heat dissipator, and a really small one next to a diode.

And NOW..it boots into where the jvc logo etc is glowing, and it boots further into the channel selection screen...but from there it turns off...

What do i do next guys, what do i dooo!!!I don't wanna shoot it yet, partially cos i dont have a license to kill...but again it's not like its a living being is it?Weird that i feel sympathy for the machine....ok im pondering off...wandering off...

Amazing im such a novice, but by the powah of you guys pointing me in2 the right direction i managed to kick it soo far...

Thanks much in advance, and i would not snap any of you guys hands off...Heck if i had a Pussycat i would prostitute it out to you guys :P

But on a serious note, man....it feels good comin' this far...

Thanks again Wayne and Andy, You guys ROCK!!

So what's next? Look past the glue-issue that Maestro Andy mentioned, and go for a juggular swap of possibly offending capacitors? Cos i find it weird that the fan just spins a little and goes off,...it too was wailing constanly when the unit was in reboot mode when the jvc screen was flickering on and off in cycles...

Besides, that little cap is feeling quite hot to the touch so...
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

yeah, if you are sure they are faulty you have to change them before going any further, you need to look to CPC or RS for spares, they should be easy and cheap to find, then do some careful de-soldering of the originals, it is possible tat it is just a dry joint on those 2 original ones, but replacements should be cheap enough so for piece of mind, i'd swap them out for new ones. Capacitors dont like being used and then shelved for ages, they tend to degrade and then fail when you put them back into use
sahbi

Post by sahbi »

Thanks for the heads up Wayne!! 8)

I checked, and the caps were faulty.

I googled a bit, and found that i must use same capacitance in uF, but the voltage maybe bigger but never smaller.

I've done and replaced them from spares i had lying around except one.

I'ts a 100v 4.7uF.

I googled extensively, and found i can put caps in series or parallel.

The info is clear cut about what happens to the capacitance but not the voltage so much(in series the lowest voltage rating must not be exceeded).

All i want to know now is, can i add 2 10uF 50V in series so the capacitance will be 5 according to C total=1/2C , but will it combine the voltages to make it a 100V value?Or will the voltages always be the same?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

i honestly dont know, i would have to do the same research you are, as i'm not an electronics techie,

What i do know though, is that sometimes sensitive things dont like different components fitting, so i would still recommend having a look at RS spares or CPC and getting the exact ones... using old second hand caps can still lead to problems if they have been left lying around for too long
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

shabi, sounds like you're making progress, but like Wayne, I don't know what happens to the overall power rating when caps are placed in parallel or serial. If I were you, I wouldn't take any chances. Electrolytics can explode if over-stressed. Pop in to your local branch of Maplins and pick up the right one(s).
sahbi

Post by sahbi »

Andy ,Geert and Wayne,

it woooorks!!! :shock:
OMG it WOOORKS!!! :D
I've watched the cheesy demo's and im trying out what it all does, but i have no remote, but that should not b a problem right?

I never thought i'd ever get this far with this 15 euro machine.

Thanks, thanks a lot you guys!! :wink:

I checked further with the caps, and since i was too impatient, i googled some more, and found that you can add caps together in series, BUT the voltage will be doubled and the capacitance will be halved, so i put 2 10uF 50V(new, had 'em bought a while ago) together making it 5uF and 100V roughly the value of the one that burst.

The old drive that i had prepared but didnt want to work turned out to be a 4K040K2 BUT during boot in bios it appeared as a 4K040H2, so im assuming the guy that sold it to me swapped the pcb of the hard drive.
It's working nicely in the JVC and is more silent than the one that was in there.

At the moment im capturing some video from the vcr side, any tips for best settings for capturing?

Does it work better if i record from vcr to hdd and then capture the recording?

I still cant believe such a small component caused the whole machine to halt...

Anyways, t'was a great adventure and i couldn't have made it without all your help

Thanks again you guys, you're the best!!!Finally we sip of the taste of victoooory!!!

Many thanks also to Geert for making all the docs and image available, so if u read this Geert, U THA MAN!!
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

sahbi, you are clearly excited by your result! Well done for persevering.
You asked about capturing: what are you capturing the VCR with? External PC or another HD Recorder, etc?
sahbi

Post by sahbi »

Yes Andy,

I'm really excited about this, especially since it seemed too far fetched/difficult for me to ever make it this far, even with all your pro tips.

Really kudo's to you for making all this info available on your site and making a place on the web for this ancient machine.

I have recorded to the hdd of the machine, and i have also captured to my pc using a PX-M402U from Plextor.

The video out was giving me decent results, but on s-video i got a ghosting in the capture, so i had to stick to composite.

So i hunted around and found a newer firmware for the M402 and now i get crystal clear results(by svhs standards of course :P )

I'm now trying the edit function in the menu, also the auto mode and playing with tbc and stabilizer to see what gives good results.

For cartoons i turn off 3R and stabilizer and put the video mode to auto or edit and TBC is on.

It's giving great results, but i see a small bit of waviness when the images are a single colour like blue...

I backed up an old manga vhs i have called Lensman, but alass, it does have some crackling and image probs.

But now it shall not deteriorate any further thanks to all your help. :P

I also have an Archos av420, but it has some problems where it shows speckles in the captured video.

It's a bit of a pity, since it does allow me to capture with the svhs quality.

And also it's hampered by the Macrovision.

I can capture my old disney tapes, but at a much lower resolution(320*240).

Hoping this is sufficient info for ya bro Andy?

Thanks again guys!
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Sounds like you're making progress with your capturing. FYI, I've had ghosting with cheap SVHS cables. Not sure if that's the case with you.

I plan to capture all my old tapes too, but I'm going to use SHVS into a camcorder which does A-D conversion out to firewire and then into my PC for capturing. It's all home-recorded stuff so I won't have to worry about Macrovision.

Glad to have helped out.
A.