Cloning or backing up your JVC HM-HDS1 hard drive.

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS1 (40GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

lop1,
Thanks for letting us know your good news.
I'm taking more of a back seat nowadays, as I don't use my HDS1 any more. Someone else may want to take you up on your offer though.
Andy.

PS: I love Brittany. You guys have such wonderful beaches!
PPS: Your English is very good, too. :)
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

it might be easier if you upload the image or if you can burn it to disk maybe ?

i havent been using mine either andy, but i did pick up a spare unit from ebay a while back, from which i still have the 80gb drive that was incorrectly fitted without the rom update, and i fitted a cloned 40 in it and it works just fine... now in my parents bedroom :)

bargin of the year :)

i'm using a topfield pvr mainly now
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Hi Wayne.
How much did you pay for the bodged unit?
I'm umming and ahh-ing over a meda centre right now. It's a job to decide which one.
Is the Topfield any good?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

oh boy, now your asking..... i cant remember exactly.

i'll have to look on my posts here, mabe i mentioned it, but it wasnt a lot... peanuts to be honest.

had 2 repairs to do on it,

1. remove 80gb drive replace with correct 40gb version
2. repair the font panel circuit board.... heavy handed tech had broken one corner/edge off it not installing it correctly, so i repaired it with araldite and then did a couple of hard wire track repairs and all is good.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

found the thread, here's a quote from it,
Wayne wrote::D :D :D :D :D

i got it working .... had to do a small track repair on the front display panel circuit board (useless heavy handed repair technician damaged it at some point !)

Then i used a spare 40GB Maxtor drive i had (one that had failed with my original image on it) ... imaged it with the clean image from Geert's FTP and voila, it works :)

conclusions ...
1) £19 + £11 postage was a steal :lol:
2) The original attempt to repair it would appear to have consisted of only a drive change to the newer 80GB drive, and no eprom chip change, unless the chip is backwards compatible with the 40GB drives which i doubt
3) I might actually have a brand new 80GB drive, imaged with the JVC image, that has never been used, only spun up and then when it failed the drive id check, shut down :)

thats what i call a result :)
and the thread is here

http://cippico.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=48
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Oh yeah, I remember that now. That is certainly a bargain!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Andy Cippico wrote:Hi Wayne.
Is the Topfield any good?

stunning, best thing i've bought in a while

you can tell some things are recorded, like the nascar racing when they have that "positions ticker" scrolling across the screen at the top, in the recorded version it's not 100% smooth and perfectly in focus, but you only really notice it if your looking for it.

it changes channels faster than any digital reciever i've ever seen, even faster than the little sony set top box i have, which i still (and so do many others) rate as the best stand alone set top box available

Also, there are so many taps (plugins) available for it, its almost like a computer, you can make it do practically anything you want
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Yeah, the connectivity can be really handy for transferring to other formats. I've got a Sony HD recorder that doesn't do that, much to my annoyance.
Have you got the Sony VTX-D800U by any chance? If so, I concur. I have one and it's an excellent set-top box.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

yup, thats the sony one i have, and yes, excellent... just one problem with it....

i bought one for the tv, and a second one for supplying my JVC video and the HDS1, but, sony neglected to build in a second IR channel option, so there is no way to control the 2 separately in the same room by remote ! ... doh!
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Well, who'd have thought anyone would want two in the same room! :wink:
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

:? :twisted:
lop1

damned

Post by lop1 »

Damned , it was so nice fixing this recorder with the cloned disk ! But it hasn't last long. Today ( after a power failure ) it just sit there with the --:-- on the display and start the blue light every minute , but do nothing on the TV set.
When I unplug it and replug it, it start reading the HDD ( I hear the head moving ) and then nothing more than this --:-- and the blue light going on for some seconds and the off for some more seconds.
Is the only one solution, to bring it to the repair shop , or is there something I can do ( I more a software guy than an electronic wizzard ).

thanks in advance , if you can help.

Laurent ( looking at the beach )
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

yeah, sounds like the drives gone again.

These units are seriously susceptible to damage in the event of a power outage, i have a small UPs for mine now which will power it and the topfield for about 16 hours in the event of a power failure, just have to re-wire some stuff and get it plugged in before we have another power failure !

looks like you'll be cloning another drive !

you could try dropping the damaged drive into your pc and run HDD Regenerator on it to check it thoroughly before cloning the new image on to it
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

I concur. Sounds like the drive has been corrupted. To be safe, you ought to re-image it (if you still have a copy of it).
Alternatively, you could try my patented 'desperation method':
  • Unplug the unit from the mains
    Open it up
    Unplug the HDD ribbon cable
    Power up the unit for about 2 minutes
    Unplug the unit from the mains again
    Plug the HDD ribbon cable back in
    Power up the unit. It may think for a while, then go to standby.
    Turn it back on from standby.
Good luck with that, but isn't it time we all moved on to something a little more up to date? :wink:
Decent 2nd hand analogue PVRs are as cheap as chips at the moment. I bought a Sony RDR-HX900 DVD Recorder with 160GB HD 3 years ago for £680. You can pick them up on ebay for around £60 nowadays (other makes and models are available...)

Oh, the price we pay for progress. :cry:

btw, which beach are you looking at?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

we're all stubourn.... and want our moneys worth out of this thing :p ... any half decent manufacturer would have had a longer warranty and then we could have all got free upgrades :lol: