Anyone got an 80gb drive image ?

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS1 (40GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

Wayne

Anyone got an 80gb drive image ?

Post by Wayne »

I might be in need of one !!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

scrap this request, i'm sorted i used another 40gb drive ... but i might actually have one now :)
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Our resident egg-head Geert Jan and Andy Wilkinson have been looking at getting one together. You might PM them and ask. I'm sure the image will appear here when it's done.

Andy.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

pm'd Geert .... said i'll do an image as soon as i get chance, but i might also be persuaded to sell the drive if they're interested :lol: :lol: it would seem it will be no use to me in my JVC units without the correct eeprom chip/firmware .... and it would be a waste to use it in a pc :oops:
steve_m

Post by steve_m »

Hi,

I have bought a HM-HDS1EU with a defective hard drive. It turned out that the 80GB Maxtor drive was only working sometimes.

I managed to ripp of an image, and copied this back to a Hitachi HDS722580VLAT20 80GB drive I had flying around.

Shortly after playing around a bit with the maxtor, it finally died, and i have thrown it away. :)

After mounting the Hitachi drive in the VCR, it works like on the first day.

I can provide an image file, the language set is German.
How many sectors are interesting, the first 2048 MB?

Regards,
Steve
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Hi Steve,

Funnily enough, I had an email recently from someone who managed to do almost exactly what you've done. He discovered that the HM-HDS4 80GB Hitachi drive works fine in the later HM-HDS1 models (the ones that have been 'chipped' to use a larger drive).

If you want, I can publish your offer of an image on the main website. I'll say something like:
"Steve can provide a copy of the 80GB image. Refer to the following post: http://xxxxxxxxx where you can contact him."

With reference to how much of the disk is important: I'm afraid we don't know, although Geert Jan's HM-HDS1 image is at least 3GB. You could start by just doing that amount.

Regards,
Andy.