HM HDS4 question

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS4 (80GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

dr_jon

HM HDS4 question

Post by dr_jon »

I know, it's getting to be an old machine now, but I'm still using mine and I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone might be able to help with...

Firstly it seems to have stopped doing timer recordings to the HDD, which is very puzzling. I don't use PDC (I actually record from a Sony Freeview box attached to the SCART) so it should just work. Instant and Chase recording works fine. Does it ring any bells?

Secondly I get occasional jumps on playback, I'm guessing the HDD is on the way out, but again is there anything else known to cause this?

Finally (okay, approximately a couple of questions ;-) I was looking for a replacement. Obvious candidates seem to be the:
Panasonic DMR-EX88
Pioneer DVR-LX70D
Sony RDR-HXD1095
or a Humax box (9300?)
Does anyone have a feeling for which has the most of the JVC functionality (e.g. 15 min jumps, recording from chase play, etc) and any other comments of these or similar models?

Thanks in advance for any help that is possible!
John
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

First try unplugging/rebooting the JVC to see if its just memory corruption giving the timer problem. I presume you have also turned off the PDC on timer?

Can't help on which would be the best option to replace it with. The Humax I have experience of and apart from occasional glitches doesn't ever seem to fail. Remote design is poor as the most commonly used playlist and jump buttons are under the trap door! Only jumps 1minute max though does have a 64x speed.
dr_jon

Post by dr_jon »

The disk has a bunch of dud sectors. I was going to clone it, but the three (!) 80G drives I rounded up were all a tiny bit too small. I did take an image of it though, so could do back to the current point at a later date.
Unfortunately it has also started flickering (the picture, that is) and I can't see why. I put it back together (must be the third time I've had it apart) and all the connectors look seated okay. The flickering is only on MPEG playback. If I get a sec I'll play around more, but that's one thing too many for now, so I've got a 9300 so I don't have to watch any more adverts. (I also removed the sliding flap on the Humax remote.)

Maybe I should just do a media PC, but that's my day job (designing PC hardware) so I will have to work my way up to that, way too tired in the evenings at present - doing a Penryn CPU board and another board with a dual MPEG2 encoder on it at the same time, plus endless management stuff and the most talented engineer working for me is off on some flimsy excuse of having a baby (9lb 5oz, last week, and she's not back yet? Jan 20-when?)

Anyway, thanks for the reply, and if you're seen the flickering before I'd be interested in any clues on where to look.

John
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Not seen an Mpeg flicker problem before. I do have one working machine and another just missing a lead I robbed that could be used to canibalise to supply parts, if you really want to get one going