JVC DRMH50 / 200 & other HDD recorders

For all discussions regarding JVC DVD recorders.

Moderator: andywilks

andywilks

JVC DRMH50 / 200 & other HDD recorders

Post by andywilks »

There is now official JVC software available for the above and other HDD models to try to rebuild corrupted data etc on the HDD, hopefully without losing the recordings on there.

Finally JVC have given engineers (& users?) the tools to sort out corrupted drives without the need to change them as with earlier models. :D
MarkMyWords

DR MH50

Post by MarkMyWords »

Hi Andy

Any chance you could elaborate on the software, what it is and where to obtain it?

I have the MH50 with intermittent loading problems :x , does the software allow you to format/ install jvc operating system etc on a new hard drive?

Thanks
YOU ARE HERE
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

send me your email address and I'll respond directly.

The software should recover a corrupted drive so in theory may reinstall the os on a blank drive... but I've not used it myself !
GeoffH

Post by GeoffH »

Andy, I am also interested in this software as I am having "Loading" problems when I try to access the hdd. All is fine when using the DVD.

I will pm you my email.

Thanks in advance

Geoff

My machine is the MH20
GeoffH

Post by GeoffH »

Just thought that I would share my good news.

Yesterday I received a letter from JVC in response to my request to them to ask what they could do for me with my almost 2 year old DR-MH20. There response was "..12 months warranty....however as a gesture of goodwill we will repair it for you..."

I had to take it myself yesterday to the nearest JVC repairer (12 miles away). Got a call from them this morning saying it was the hdd that had gone. Then a couple of hours later another call saying that the hdd had been replaced and was ready for pickup. When I asked, they said that the PSU was fine (no exploded Caps!)

Just brought it back and switched it on. All working fine + a firmware upgrade.

Thank you JVC :lol:
stevebroad

JVC Software

Post by stevebroad »

Hi Andy,

I have replaced every cap in the PSU and the mod resistors have been fitted and I am still getting the flashing Loading display.

Sometimes the machine works OK and I can use it as normal but it does not happen very often.

Do you think its the HDD as when its not working, I can hear the drive spinning up and then it clicks a few times and the spindle slows down to nothing.

Do you know where I can get the software so that I can replace the drive?

I am an ex Granada TV and Video engineer so I can do this myself.

Thanks
stevebroad

Update

Post by stevebroad »

Sorry Andy,

I forgot to say that after the 50 second loading signal it goes into Standby as normal.

When I press the power button it says Hello and sometimes I get the PR1 and normal screen and other times I get the Loading again. 1 in a 100 tries I get the machine to work.

The click in the hdd that I was hearing was the head parking before it goes into Standby again.

Last time it started to work OK it lasted about 2 days. This was after I had replaced all of the caps and I thought that had fixed it. You could not imagine the dissapointment when it all went back the the standby problem again after 2 days. I was gutted.

Its as if there is a reset cap somewhere not reseting on time or something. I would still want to try the software as well.

Thanks

Steve
Victory

Post by Victory »

Forgive me for jumping in here.
The hard drive spinning up whilst in standby is quite normal. I think you`ll find it happens at the same time each day. It`s just a HDD self test.
As your machine makes it to standy, albeit infrequently, the HDD should be OK. A corrupted drive wouldn`t make it to that point at all.
Did you replace the caps with good quality, low ESR replacements? JVC PSU`s tend to be very unforgiving if you fit low grade caps.
Your problem is almost certainly the Digital Board.
There are 3 different mods to the board depending on the Digital Board Assembly Number. This is on top of the mod that may have been carried out in the factory. Are you sure the correct Mod was done?
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Hi Victory, whats the 3rd mod on the boards? I've only ever seen the 2 extra resistors.

Steve: The HDD doesn't sound corrupted, but its possible it has some sort of read problem, hence it only works occasionally.

Just to confirm.. it always boots when plugged in and after 50s settles in standby then just when you power out of standby it then may 'trip' back into the loading mode? That still sounds like a psu problem. you say you've changed all the caps...all as in all or all the common ones? I recently had a DRMH30 that I changed lots and eventually found a small cap causing almost the same thing... will dig out the manual and try to find its cct ref if I can
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

check C5316 5340 and 5313 all 22u50v on the output of some low voltage rails. I have heard from JVc about the 5340 and I can't remember whether it was the 13 or 16 I had faulty

Have you changed thes yet?
Victory

Post by Victory »

Hi Andy,

I presume we are talking about the MH20/30 recorders ?

In which case, the mod depends on the Diggy Board Assy no.
LPA10247-03A,B,C and D require a 3 resistor mod
------------03E requires a different 3 resistor mod
------------03F requires a change to the above mods

------------0G and above are OK

The 2 resistor mods are for the M10`s, MV1`s and the US versions of the MV30`s and MV50`s.