DRM1 PSU problems in standby

For all discussions regarding JVC DVD recorders.

Moderator: andywilks

andywilks

DRM1 PSU problems in standby

Post by andywilks »

As this model ages, a problem is becoming apparent. The power supply can trip or even fail in standby mode. This is because in standby the cooling fan stops and the main drive IC can overheat and trip. Some units are now being seen with slight browning of the pcb and eventually this leads the psu to fail totally- the board becomes slightly conductive I think. Complete psu boards aren't available, so there will I'm sure be problems in the future!!
matt1976

heat sink

Post by matt1976 »

if you look at the heat sink you will see the reg is incorectly fitted remove the bure and add heat sink compond i can also supply new pcbs also look for caps that have failed
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

I accept that some may have poor contact to the heatsink. That doesn't explain why the pcb boards are charring or why the whole smpsu runs so hot. There are other models eg XVDDV1 that use the same psu arrangement , that don't run any more than just warm.
matt1976

str g6653

Post by matt1976 »

jvc have had a lot of problems with this ic every model i have ever seen has had a problem with it having repaired 1000s of jvc dvd hdd recorders in my time i have seen a lot lol
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Re: str g6653

Post by Andy Cippico »

matt1976 wrote:jvc have had a lot of problems with this ic every model i have ever seen has had a problem with it having repaired 1000s of jvc dvd hdd recorders in my time i have seen a lot lol
Matt1976,
Interesting stuff. What other machines have you worked on? Any tips, tricks or gotchas you can share with us would be great.
Thanks,
Andy C
john-g

Post by john-g »

I have a DRM1 PSU that stops working, it seems the STR-G6653 over heats then shuts down, but does anyone know the cause of it overheating... has another component failed?

Also matt1976 said he has replacement psu's available, but wheres he gone?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Not heard anything of matt1976 since the last post. JVC don't have any complete boards available, so I don't know where he was able to supply some from.

It is as mentioned before quite common for the STRG to overheat and then trip. Just fit another, making sure there isn't a burr holding it away slightly from the aluminium. (Grandata seem to be the cheapest- but let me know if you find them anywhere for less that ?5) You shouldn't need to replace any other components save maybe the 2200uF caps which whilst not a major problem on the DRM1- are failing readily on the DRM10 now. As for why the DRM1 overheats and the 10 etc don't- no idea.

If the STRG blows then there will be quite a few comps that have gone with it. Best to change it before this happens
john-g

Post by john-g »

Cheers andy, got the parts on order from grandata, had a look around the web but found grandata to be best.
Im looking forward to getting this dvd player/recorder going again.
What a damn good site, and thanks again.
davegibelli

Post by davegibelli »

All

I am about to repair my DR-MH30SEK as it is out of warrantee and the PSU has blown up.

The STR-G6653-F9 has exploded taking R5107 with it :cry:

Any suggestion of other components to change at the same time?

Where do I get these mini resitors from?
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

If you need a diagram and/or part nos, I can help you with that if you like.

As I said in the other post, change the caps, but also when the small smd/ 1/8watt resistors fail then I usually just find others on spare old boards...JVC of course can supply every part but at greater cost!
KJTPayton

JVC PSU on DR-MH200

Post by KJTPayton »

I have a JVC DR-MH200 with a blown PSU :(
The G6653 is in several bits. It appears that no other component have suffered the same fate but I will change all and anything that anyone recommends be changed. I have read somewhere that the 2200uf smoothing cap sometimes can blow.
I have tried to get a G6653 but all are out of stock. Can anyone suggest a supplier or better still a like for like upgrade. I am aware that the G6653 goes pop for fun when lift on standby.
Any help would be appreciated. :lol:
Sometimes you win!
Victory

Post by Victory »

After the Reg. blows, all the following should be changed, as these will have been stressed when the Reg. let go.

1- IC5101
2- PC5101
3- C5103
4- R5107
5- R5108
6- R5109
7- F5001

If you need a Reg. I`m sure I have a few new ones around.
PM me.
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Grandata are usually the best for the STRG about a fiver plus only a quid P+P +vat

They usually go in standby since the fan doesn't run and the heatsink temp just keeps rising
WDMDL

Post by WDMDL »

While you've got the power supply out, why not remove the fan switching transistor (Q5304 in DR-MH200) and link the collector and emitter pads?

That will make the fan run continuously, hopefully the whole machine will be so much more reliable!

Martin.
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

It certainly is worth considering the fan too.

I have in the past altered the circuit to make it run continuously, but a little slower too, so the owner doesn't complain about the 24hr whirring noise!