DR-MH20/ 30/ 50 Guide to problems

For all discussions regarding JVC DVD recorders.

Moderator: andywilks

andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Yes it should be 5316

Thanks
Andrew
iain10101

dr-mh 30sek

Post by iain10101 »

Firstly let me thankyou for an excellent advice page. I wonder if it is possible for a little extra help?

I have DR-MH 30 SEK with the usual "loading" problem. I have changed all the caps you suggest but to no avail. The "Loading" message still appears. I cannot also turn it off via the switch on the front. Getting parts to rectify this will not be a problem as i work for an electronics company. I have tried turning off the unit and repowering with the eject button down and after 15 seconds or so the draw opens so im a little confused as to wether im poining myelf in the right direction for this fault or should i be looking at some sort of boot sequence or hard drive failure?? Any advice you could give on this matter would be appreciated, to save me tearing much more of my hair out. :oops: :cry:

Many thanks in advance for any light you are able to "shed on this matter
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

If the drawer will open then it has booted so far and is then requesting data from the HDD which I suspect will be corrupted :(

The Advisor software can now be loaded to try to repair it....but I doubt it will...I've not heard of anyone getting the software to work!

An Hdd clone from a good machine is the only option
iain10101

re

Post by iain10101 »

Thankyou very much for your advise. I wish you all the best for the future.. Iain..........
mostyk

Post by mostyk »

Replaced C5340 by 50v 100µf and all works fine :) thanks :)
efect2000

Post by efect2000 »

hello, I have one unit of this HM20, that the owner tried several times to put it on, as it went down due to ps failure. Once the power supply fixed, it does not detect the hdd and stays with the loading. I have one unit like this and with my disk it works properly. Mine is also a mh20. Gan i clone yhe hdd, having my disk as master in a pc, and with a pc clone programm like HDCLONE?

thank you very much
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Yes you should be able to sucessfully clone the disc. (as long as the HDD is the same make/model)

Use RAW mode to get an exact copy
efect2000

Post by efect2000 »

thank you very much for the answer. the disks are the same mark and model, but was worried about the possibility to damage the mine, which works properly. I will try it next weekend, as I have to dissamble mine first.
once I do it, I will post, if the brokedown machine works again or if I have then two damaged :roll: :lol: :lol: .
thank you
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

as long as you don't modify anything on your good hdd...eg don't Scandisk it

And as long as you don't mix them up and copy a dud onto the good :oops:
efect2000

Post by efect2000 »

hi, just let you know, that i have not still done it, as first I'd like to test with another disk, as how you say, as both are identical, I can take the origin as target and overwritten the good one. I will try perhaps in november, i have hollyday, But I will post te result.

thank you
efect2000

Post by efect2000 »

Hi; Today i have done it. in fact, I have (had) two MH20 working at home, and one which I wanted to clone the disk. firsts, I tried with HDD regenerator, it found several clusters bad, and in theory, they all were fixed. The source disk was one of the two mines, and the one selected has a seagate U series disk, it worked on both items, as well in mine and in the one which had the maxtor.

After several times trying to copy the hdd, from seagate into maxtor, now no one of both work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please, is the a soft available to put on the disk? Or, the only way is buying an expensive (I suppose) new HDD with the soft already installed?

these machines are old, and besides, we have now digital terrestrial, no analgue tv system, so, a lot of money on it is now wasting the money.

Thank you very much
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Hi.

Reading your post, I just want to understand.... you have NO working hdd now?
Or have you been unable to make a working copy on a Maxtor from your good Seagate? the Seagate still works yes?

In answer to your questions, No JVc don't have just the software available to reinstall to a corrupt HDD :-(

It would not surprise me if the image from a Seagate would not work on a Maxtor.

can you confirm?
cheers
Andrew
efect2000

Post by efect2000 »

Hi, thanks for the answer.
machine 1: maxtor and problems with the hdd, the guilty :D
machine 2: seagate and worked perfect until I destroyed it yesterday.
machine 3: maxtor and works perfect (I don't touch it xDDD)

I removed the hdd seagate and put into machine 1, it works perfectly, so, the only problem is the soft.
I put the seagate on pc (main ATA slot) and the maxtor as "slave" ata cable, without the jumper.

After severals attempts to clone, the maxtor does not work, and have still bad clusters (it has worked about 30000 hours according to a pc program called crystal hdd tool, I know, a lot of hours) and later, after a new attempt, then the seagate left working too.

Now I have phoned to an official service in Barcelona, explained everything, and I was told it can be easily (by them) reinstall the software in less than half an hour. As in November I am on holiday, I will go there (100km far) and I will let you know, how the history finishes.

thank you very much for paying attention.
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Interesting.

If there was a disc available with the software on, it would be good news.
JVC UK deny there is such a disc! but there must be one for them to do it in the factory.

Andrew
efect2000

Post by efect2000 »

Well, last week I sent an email, explaining again and more exactly what I did, and then, they answered me, that I was not understood, as they buy the full HDD, and of course, very expensive. I found this, and has asked if it can solve the "problem" I have
http://cgi.ebay.es/Firmware-fur-alle-DV ... 4cf2659a16

as soon as I have an answer, I will put here.

Befor, I found the soft AdviserV127, I tested before crashing my third item :D :D and noticed nothing special after, as sometimes appeared the loading longer than normal, when plugging it on.

thank you