Strange error on my harddisk recorder

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS1 (40GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

Cenobyte

Strange error on my harddisk recorder

Post by Cenobyte »

Hi there, a fellow Dutchman here :D

I have been a long time user of the HM-HDS1 (bought it in september of 2001 for 3100 Guilders!!), being a gadget freak and longing for something that could replace the VHS tape disaster. My recorder worked fine... until now. :cry:

Ever since my electricity blacked out with the recorder on -a few weeks back- I noticed a very strange error in the clip screen (where it shows the clips of programs on harddisk). The number of clips kept changing and there were 2 clips without date/time and 1 clip without any info at all which I could not select to play!

That's not the worst of it: this evening, my clip screen was completely empty! All recorded programs (some almost a year old, can't seem to find time to put it on tape, hehe) are gone! It's not that bad that I lost my recordings, nothing really important, but my remaing memory was kind of low and that STAYS low! So: I lost all recordings, but the space for it is still in use! On SEP recording mode I only have about 5 hours left.

No other strange behavior like spontanious resets or shutdowns, only this.

Can I reset the system somehow? Make at completely empty? Or is my JVC recorder ready for replacement?
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Some sort of corruption has occurred to the hard drive data structure.

There's no way to repair this corruption

A clone of a working HDD will likely be the best answer... see elsewhere in this forum for more details on that..

AW
Cenobyte

Post by Cenobyte »

andywilks wrote:Some sort of corruption has occurred to the hard drive data structure.

There's no way to repair this corruption

A clone of a working HDD will likely be the best answer... see elsewhere in this forum for more details on that..

AW
Hmm, that's too bad... I'm not shure if the recorder is worth all that effort, since I don't have any possibilities to access a second recorder.

However: there has been a little improvement since last: I deleted the present programmed recordings and that seems to improved things: I have almost all memory free again and I can record things again :D

Seems like the old lady still has some years in her :wink: