Cloning or backing up your JVC HM-HDS1 hard drive.

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS1 (40GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

also that Quantum drive you have seems too small ... unless i am reading the model details wrong ... that look slike a 20gb drive, and the maxtor is a 40
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

jrs31,

Your English is fine. It's better than a lot of English people I know. :wink:

I can't answer your question, although I'd say you've got nothing to lose. Assuming you have the Quantum Fireball LCT 20 (check model details here: http://www.cippico.com/technical/jvc-hm ... models.htm), try downloading the image from the ftp site: ftp://sas5.el.utwente.nl/Outgoing/JVC_H ... xtor_40GB/ and ghosting it onto the drive.
If that doesn't work then Wayne is right. You'll have to find the right Maxtor drive (probably on eBay).

Bonne chance,
Andy.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

here's one for you, but it's already got some interest :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0123577406
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Only one problem - the seller doesn't ship to international addresses...
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

yeah that could be a problem .....

maybe one f us could bid, and if successful you could buy it from us ???

or, do what i do ... email the seller and explain that you'd like to bid, you will of course pay the postage, and that you are prepared to wait for the payment to clear at his end before he ships it ..... it takes no extra effort for him to ship abroad, he's probably just worried about non-payers
jrs31

Post by jrs31 »

hello,

Thanks for your answer, I'm already looking for Maxtor on ebay. The ICT is on ebay too.
I found a maxtor on Germany : http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... &rd=1&rd=1
I hope the link will work.
Here is the link for ICT20, I have already place a bird so If it doesn't work, I will used it as an external hdd :D
And if it work, we will know that for other and I will have a backup HDD.
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... &rd=1&rd=1

image are downloaded, I will tell you the result.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

good luck with that ... if it stays at 2 euros then you cant lose really at that price :)
jrs31

Post by jrs31 »

Hello,

grr I forgot the bid on ebay, I lost it. The next one is the ICT20.
I think I have found a good bid on USA, perhaps 9 Maxtor. The one wich is seen on photo is the good MAXTOR P/N. I will take them if i can't buy other because they don't be tested.

Wait and see :roll:
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

oops !! :oops:

you should try something like this ...

http://www.justsnipe.com

thats saved me forgetting a number of times ;)

I might have a go at that one on ebay uk :D
jrs31

Post by jrs31 »

hi,

here we are, I've just clone the hdd and my Jvc recorder came back from the realm of died.

Thanks everybody:-)
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

excellent news :)

i watched that drive on ebay and was going to through a bid on it, and it went way higher than i thought :O

Which drive did you end up using, can you post the details for it, and then Andy could add it to the info table if it is one no-ones tested before
jrs31

Post by jrs31 »

sorry but no new type of HDD, I use the maxtor 4K040H2.

I have still one problem that I didn't think when I download the ghost image.
I was written but I don't notice it. So I can't set tuner to SECAM L/ The tv is in black and white :-(.

If someone has a french SECAM L image i 'm interesting in.

++
jrs31

Post by jrs31 »

hi,

I found on ebay an apparatus which transform SECAM to PAL so I found my solution if its price stay around 15€

++

I'm still interest by french ghost image of hdd.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

you'll need an "un-powered" unit, as there was something about this before, the unit/drive will only ask once what language you want if i remember correctly, as for PAL/SECAM, the tuner should be able to handle both if i remember correctly, so that will just leave the programs you save to the drive.

i have an 80gb Maxtor which i think has never been run because the ROM chip was not changed in the player, when i get a chance i will ghost it and send it to Gert for his FTP site, but at the moment i am maxed out with other stuff
lop1

Thank you

Post by lop1 »

A big thank you, for all these informations. My HM-HDS1 started to make strange things two weeks ago, so before a real crash I decided to clone it before it was too late. I bought a maxtor 4K040H2 on ebay and made a clone from my original.

It was a success , largely due to this board. Thanks a lot.

JSR31, I am in Brittany and my device is SECAM French, so if you want I can clone a disk for you ( if you want, send a maxtor 4K040H2 and I will clone it with the SECAM image ).

Thanks to all.