Cloning or backing up your JVC HM-HDS1 hard drive.

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS1 (40GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Wayne... Wayne... Wayne...
Wayne... Wayne!
Wake up! You've been dreaming! Was it the one about JVC being a 'half decent manufacturer' again? Aww...
:lol:
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

hey, my old 9400 SVHS player is still working just fine, and kicks the ass out of the newer one for both picture and audio quality, not to mention features.

but i do agree with you, stuff has moved on considerably, thats why i have a Topfield PVR.... but, i do still like control over what i set to record, sky+ is way to reliant on the electronic program guide, not to mention they can record stuff to your hard drive without your permission

anyway... it's a bit of a mute point these days, i have 20mb broadband cable, the american tv schedule and some dam good download sites ;) i'm watching most tv stuff now via my pc on a 27" HD monitor :D
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Yeah, some of the old stuff is still excellent. I remember paying just over £1000 for a JVC S5000EK S-VHS deck in 1990 (see pics below). I must have saved for several months to pay for that baby.
It also needed a fork-lift truck to put it on my hi-fi shelves.
Those were the days. How our children will laugh at us...

I'd stick to your PC setup. Sounds like you've got the best of all worlds there.
lop1

much better but not really usable

Post by lop1 »

It's driving me crazy. I have done the unplug start it without hd connector, shut it down and start it up with the hd connector. The device is working, I can look at my recordings, record, ....
The only real problem is that when I put it to sleep, it restart on his own every 30s or 1 minutes flick the blue light for some seconds and go back to sleep !!! and he lost all the settings like the mode I always set on SP...
I have tried with all my three HD ( I bought another spare one on ebay and cloned it from my original ), they all do the same....
Not very easy to use, have to unplug it and can' t program it...

Have you ever see that ? some advice on what I can do ?

I know it is an old device ( I already bought a liteon 160HD+DVD recorder and a sony 500HD and DVD recorder ) but the JVC has the very best user interface , and I will like it so much for my everyday usage, I can't stand letting it like that.

Laurent

from the Trestraou beach in Perros-Guirec
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

i've never seen that before, but it doesnt sound good :(