drive not to try !!!

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS1 (40GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

Wayne

drive not to try !!!

Post by Wayne »

forgot to mention this last time i was playing around with this, got one of these drives and i am 99% certain i tried it and it didn't work in my jvc (the fact that it is in one of my removable caddies makes me even more sure)

Maxtor D540X-4D 40GB
model: 4D04H2
HDA: 22A
PCBA: 05A
Code: DAH017KO
LBA: 80043264

thought you might want to add it to this page for the HM-HDS1

http://www.cippico.com/technical/jvc-hm ... models.htm
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Wayne, you've been a busy bunny! You'll be taking over this board before long (how about it?... I just don't have the time nowadays).

Thanks for the info. I'll add it to the page.
Andy.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

lol .... nah, your alright, i have little time as it is these days, but thought best to add the info i found out, this place is pretty valuable to those that still have these, as a resource for info, it should pretty much run itself these days i would have thought
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Wayne,

I've added that drive to the list of drives that don't work. I also did a bit of research as to why it wouldn't and I drew a blank. As far as I can tell, both these drives are identical apart from jumper settings. It's really strange.
Just to clarify: I've made the assumption that you made a typo when you typed the model number. I reckon that should read: 4D040H2. Can you verify this?

Thanks,
A.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

yup that was a typo,

it was a while ago that i would have tried it, when my main unit went down, at the moment its in use in my pc, which i am unlikely to have done had it worked in my JVC unit.

I dont at the moment have another drive that i can copy all the data to from it to retry it, but if i get one then i might give it another try as i too was surprised it didnt work
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Well, if you do ever get the chance... give it a try for us, will you?
It would be good to have another drive type to use. The world maket for the 'official' JVC drive is getting smaller and smaller.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

tell me about it, thats why i grabbed those 3 when i had a chance last time, although my original dodgy image would seem to have thrown me a bit of a curve ball as i thought 2 of the drives were naffed and it seems i was wrong :)