Auto clock +/- 1hr (summertime) problem

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS4 (80GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

andywilks

Auto clock +/- 1hr (summertime) problem

Post by andywilks »

My 2 machines both failed to adjust the clock automatically for British summertime recently. I seem to remember this happening last year also... I am looking into this and the auto time correct feature, and would like to know from anyone else who has come across the same problem. I'm trying to work out if its a software bug of some sort.
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Even my old HDS1 managed that OK! :D
Isn't it something to do with using the Clock Auto-set. I seem to recall (without manual or machine here) that you have to use a certain TV channel that broadcasts time sync signals.
I could of course be wrong, but I can't see why they would have dropped this feature in a later model.
Just my 2p's worth.
Andy
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

The feature is there and is supposed to correct the time, just as an HMHDS1- The Just clock is ON and set to BBC1 so it should work---- but it never does!!!

I think the 'OLD' blue screen setup part of the machines software isn't passing this info to the 'NEW' HDD part of the software (if that makes sense!). Remember the basic architecture of both the HDS1 & 4 is similar to a normal video with the addition of the Fujitsu GUI etc for control of the HDD etc.
Pip

Post by Pip »

Hi
As expected standard time begins, and the HDS4 still thinks its summertime. I only wish looking at the weather outside I could agree. I've now got used to manually altering it's clock twice yearly as well as occasionally having to reboot it (mains off - mains on) just the same as a PC running MS Windows, hangs when you least expect it.
andywilks

Summertime bug

Post by andywilks »

A strange thing happened with 1 of my machines this time when the clocks changed. I was away over the weekend, but as expected neither had updated upon my return. my main machine had in fact 'locked' and required a hard reset...I did this.. started watching a prog... paused part way through... then on returning.... I noticed the clock was correct!!!

Here's the puzzle... Just clock is known not to work as it should.... in fact just clock has a few conditions of working anyway.. as per instructions... ie not when in timer mode/ not when turned ON! etc.... so how it updated (at about half past the hour) I don't know. It may have somehow requeried the clock whilst resetting.... strange

For some unexplainable reason I've had 4 complaints from other customers (with normal JVC VCRs) Monday am (we always get the odd one) - whose machines have all failed to update even though they were set to just clock on. 1 I proved was in timer mode with some old progs in memory... the others can't be faulted .... ah well... :roll:

ps Have got 2 new exact 80gb drives now to image onto- there are still some around..

Mine has been acting up lately... needs the occasional reset..... trouble to come....
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Hi Andy.

I'll start by saying that I've no idea whether my HDS1 updated or not. It's been unplugged and out of use for about a year now. Ever since I defected to Sony I haven't looked back. I still toy with the idea of running a soldering iron over the faulty decoder board, though.

Having said that, my Sony didn't update until 6pm that evening. Can't figure that one out at all...

My 'atomic' wall clock behaved perfectly. I didn't stay up to watch the big hand reversing round the clock face at 2am (that would be sad), but it was definitely right when I got up that morning.

Here's another thought: perhaps the BBC or ITV forgot to send out the time sync correctly/on time? Could happen.
Pip

Post by Pip »

Hi Andy

Regarding your Sony not updating to later in the day, my Panasonic DVD writer did the same. I'm glad you mentioned it, because I was wondering if my machine was on the blink.