Replacment Drive for HM-HDS4

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS4 (80GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

Ben Erkens

Post by Ben Erkens »

Hi All,

Just before Christmas I replaced my HDD in the HDS4.

Operation looks fine, but one annoying problem appeared:

Don't know the reason, but the VCR doesn't start a HDD recording when in standby (most often).

Can't say the VCR recording events are reliable. Sometimes it forgets to record a scheduled recording. When I switch the VCR from standby to ON, it starts recording the programmed event like a wake-up call, but shouldn't I switch it ON, the recording is "forgotten" by the VCR.

I would like to give the HDS4 a full reset, back to factory settings, erase all the previous recorded movies and programmed events (without loosing the Operating Software).

Anybody a clue?

Greetings, Ben E...
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

The only way to do that is by cloning a virgin image-- many settings are stored on the HDD for the machine
Ben Erkens

Parts HDS-4 in Holland

Post by Ben Erkens »

Hi All,

In Holland I found a company that sells spare-parts.

I just ordered a service manaul for the HDS4 (e33,20 incl. P&P).

They also sell the HD, for euro 525,89 (incl. VAT, excl. postage & package)!!

QAL0459001 HDD

http://eshop.euras.com/part_detail.asp? ... 1&ger=true

http://www.vento.nl/

Happy New Year, Ben E...
Ben Erkens

Post by Ben Erkens »

Hi Andy,
Andy Cippico wrote:Here you go. It still needs a bit of work, but you get the picture...
http://www.cippico.com/technical/jvc-hm-hds4/index.htm
The JVC HDS4 is still working here with the new HD I installed.

I got a question: can I supply a image.

You wrote down in the small print of my story

http://www.cippico.com/technical/jvc-hm ... 4Drive.htm

that people can use the RAW mode of Norton Ghost to make a copy.

How big will that image be? Still 80GByte or can Ghost use compression?

Greetings, Ben E...
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

We never found a way to compress the image- JVC have padded out the data with all sorts of random data that Ghost cannot compress-
Ideally what I need is someone with more hdd experience to find a way to image the first 4Gb for example, hoping that all the neccessary data we need is in that chunk. Then a DVD-r can be made to pass around.
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Hi Ben, glad to hear your drive is still working. Of course it would be great for the community to have a copy of the drive available for download, but as AndyWilks says, I'm not sure what you'd do to get just the OS imaged. On some manufacturer's machines there is an option to initialise or format the drive, leaving the OS intact. I don't suppose the HDS4 has this?
If all else fails then I suppose you could image the whole drive to a file which you'd then compress using ZIP or RAR. Unfortunately I don't see it compressing the file much further as it would be trying to compress MPEG2 data - which is already compressed. Interestingly, in all my years of imaging drives, I have never had to image just a part of one. I have no idea how you'd do that, and no idea how you'd decide how big the OS is. I'll need to look at Ghost/Partition Magic/Acronis and see.
Just a thought... if Geert Jan finishes the HDS1 project then you could ask him to start looking at the HDS4.
Ben Erkens

Post by Ben Erkens »

Hi Andy,

While searching for Ghost & RAW, I found a "Ghost for Linux" tool via Google that supports RAW mode, GZIP for compression and the option to split the file. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Linux.

With the option to split (span) to several files, the image could be copied to 10x DVD-9 for example spanning 80GByte.

Will ask a colleague linux-whiskid howto.

Greetings, Ben...
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Ben, you don't have to use the Linux version. Most versions of ghost (Windows and DOS) can automatically split the files into chunks as they go.
Also, why would you use DVDs? I thought you were thinking of making the image available online - or have I misunderstood you?
A.
DOS version here: ftp://sas5.el.utwente.nl/Outgoing/Tools/Ghost.zip
Ben Erkens

Post by Ben Erkens »

Hi Andy,
Andy Cippico wrote:Ben, you don't have to use the Linux version. Most versions of ghost (Windows and DOS) can automatically split the files into chunks as they go.
Also, why would you use DVDs? I thought you were thinking of making the image available online - or have I misunderstood you?
A.
DOS version here: ftp://sas5.el.utwente.nl/Outgoing/Tools/Ghost.zip
As the problem is what part of the HDD files is needed, a full size image would be the only option??

Then it is more ore less 80 GB, even split in "small" pieces. That would be a lot of data, but if you have te space available on a server...

Greetings, Ben...
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Well I suppose you could experiment. You could image the first 1GB, restore it to a clean drive and see if it boots. But to do this you would need to image the whole original drive into 1GB chunks first, then just restore the first chunk. As I said, I don't know how you do that, but I shall see if I can find out.
If it's space you need then Geert Jan is already hosting the HDS1 image and I'm sure he wouldn't mind hosting the HDS4 as well - but I don't know what his space limit is. 80GB could be too much.
You could PM him and ask.
Tony Cuz

Maxtor cloned onto Hitachi Deskstar

Post by Tony Cuz »

Hello there

I found your forum really useful in finding out how to back up my DS4’s hard drive after some intermittent boot problems with it. I just thought I’d let you know that I had a Hitachi Deskstar 80 Gig and so tried ghosting (with –ir for raw clone) to it and it works perfectly. I really didn’t expect it to, but I’ve tested everything including waking from standby to start a scheduled recording and it seems just like the original. The original drive is a Maxtor and the Hitachi is Model: HDS722580VLAT20. Part No. 08K0462. The CHS values are the same as the Maxtor (16383/16/63) but it’s LBA sectors value is 160.836.480 which is slightly larger than the Maxtor. I’m not sure that these drives are any easier to find than the Maxtor but I’m inclined to feel that maybe any drive with these CHS values will work.
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Very interesting and very useful info for future reference.
I have a Western Dig 80Gb drive here... might give it a go on that. As you say as long as it has the same or larger CHS otherwise Ghost won't allow the clone thinking there isn't enough room.

AW
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Tony, many thanks, and good info. I have added this drive to the list of supported types and credited it to you: http://cippico.com/technical/jvc-hm-hds1/hd-models.htm.
Andy.