HD not boot

For all discussions regarding the JVC HM-HDS4 (80GB hard disk and S-VHS recorder)

Moderators: andywilks, Geert Jan

zoritsu

HD not boot

Post by zoritsu »

Hello:
An icon has been lit flashing in the display. The blue light of
functioning of the hard disk is subdued. I have proved to connect it
to the current having touched the buttons of ignition and stop.

You have idea of that it can mean and of his possible solution.

Thank you.
Andy Cippico
Site Admin

Post by Andy Cippico »

Hi zoritsu,

Sorry, I don't have an answer for that. I don't know the HDS4 very well. Perhaps Andrew W (moderator on this forum) has an idea.

Andy
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Sorry not to have responded earlier.

Its difficult to establish exactly what symptoms you have.

If you are getting odd characters on the (front panel) display and the blue light flashing then its trying to boot. Only when successful does it remain lit blue constantly. random display characters is an indicator of a more serious problem than just HDD corruption however.
resistor

Post by resistor »

Hi

I seem to have exactly this same problem. There is an icon comprising a straight line and an arrow pointing to the right. The blue light for the hard drive does not come on. I had this same problem some time ago at which time i left the hard drive unplugged for about 24 hours and it then seemed to reset itsel. I have tried it this time but without success. Any advice would be appreciated.
resistor

Post by resistor »

one other thing. The vhs side of things is working fine.
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

It is most likely the HDD which is failing. A common problem is that the drive when warm will act up. Letting it cool down may temporarily provide a cure. If now it can't fully boot due to corruption, then you need either to clone a working drives image to the HDD, if the drive is still physically ok or more likely you'll need a fresh drive (with JVC OS on it)

I can provide complete new drives with image for ?75- tested too!
resistor

Post by resistor »

This is not a drive problem as I have tried two cloned drives which I have tested previously.
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

In that case there must be a problem with the processing for the digital section- something I have not had happen before.

If it can be intermittent then its possible one of the processing IC's or memory Ics might have dry joints on the legs/pins. Its not really a DIY job to attempt to find them though.
zoritsu

the same has happened again

Post by zoritsu »

Hello:

Today have happened three electrical interruptions of approximately four seconds each one, and it has happened again.

I remember that the previous time was a fall of tension prolonged during the night.

Do I go to open the team to look if there is some switch of rearming or reset? Thank you. Luis
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

There is no internal 'reset' switch .
If the blue light does not stay on then the hard drive has become corrupt. The machine has a very limited ability to recover from this corruption. Normally we just have to clone a working 'image' from a good drive to it. you will of course lose all recordings you had. :(
zoritsu

Post by zoritsu »

Hi:

What possibilities do I have of obtaining the image?
It is the same that the HM-HDS1?

Thank you. Luis
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

The only successful way to do it is a direct clone of the drive. We have tried to rip an image but JVC fill the entire 80Gb with random data that won't compress when trying to put that on a DVDr.

I have UK discs to be able to use, (is yours UK spec?) so I would need you to post the drive here for me to clone for you.