DRMH300 problems & firmware updates

For all discussions regarding JVC DVD recorders.

Moderator: andywilks

andywilks

DRMH300 problems & firmware updates

Post by andywilks »

Good and bad news for these.

There is a F/ware update that will recover the HDD etc, so I'm told.

Problem is the machine has to be put into 'JIG' mode to enable it to be updated. This can be done from the customers remote or a JVC engineers remote.

Once updated....you need a JVC engineers remote to get the machine out of JiG mode- ie you can't do it yourself!! and pulling the plug etc won't do it either :cry

There have been reliability issues on the DVD drives, JVc suggest F/w updates to resolve issues but early ones can't be firmware uploaded either, only ones after a certain point.
robboh

JVC DR0-MH300 AND DR-MH30

Post by robboh »

Hi, i have 2 models namely JVC DR-MH300 which has the DVDRW loading problem i.e will not detect or play any dvd's and i have a JVC DR-MH30 which all of sudden starts giving me interference or hissing/scratching when playing a dvd i know its not the dvd's are bad as they play in the ps3/xbox360/pc ok,where can i get a replacement DVDRW drive for the 300BEK and do you know why i am gettting this intereference with the DR-MH30.thanks
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Just about all the DRMH300 will by now have required a new DVD drive

There are a few versions of drive around so you need to check part no first, but I can supply for £89 posted the common one.
shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

Hi I've got a MH300 question which I think relates to this topic. It's regarding the MH300 DVDRW'er problems, I wondered if I could clear up which replacement models can be used.
Mine's OK :| but it's about a year old and burnt 120+ disks so I'm looking at backup/repair options.

The MH300 is probably an early one, say 2005. S.N: 160B0405.
The DVDRW is a 'H.L Data Storage', model: GDA-4163B(JCA0), dated:Aug 2005,
and another code: E-H900-04-4311(B) which isn't explained.
Also under drive S/N is a DRIVE REV. which is a sticker with 'A5' on it,
so I don't know if that alters as well as the model No.?

It looks pretty easy to change the burner as its a single unit with alot of space around. What I wondered is which would be best ;- get an identical one, which would require no firmware update, or a different model which would need an update. Does anyone know the model no. of these other usable drives and the availability of the firmware.
I'd prefer to avoid changing the firmware as I had a problem once (luckily that DVDRW was no good anyway!)
I'd like to stick with the JVC as other brands just don't look to be able to do what I want. May get one of the last few Toshibas but they miss the RGB in, etc... I could go on...
Anyway hope someone can help clear this up.
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Not just sure which drive you have in your drmh300.:? but checking JVC spares the GDA4163 throws up the QAL0704 as substitute
Earlier machines have either a QAL0651 xxxx or QAL0704 xxxx drive

These QALs are no longer available and all later models have a PDM0120ACC1E drive and that is what is supplied now.
For an old model using a QAL drive there is a fair amount of modding to do to fit the new drive, connectors, IC changes etc (I have the 16 page service bulletin if you want to see it). I haven't actually needed to do one of these so can't advise on pitfalls etc. The unit will probably require a firmware update etc once done and for this the JVC service remote is required, so not an easy DIY fix. :cry:

The earlier drives have in general been very reliable, its the PDMs that have been dropping like flies.

I have a good working DRMH200 available if anyone is interested
shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

Thanks Andy taking the time to look that up. I've got a pic of the DVDRW'er now for clarity.
then click on view profile, then the thumbnail again, sorry imageshack has changed!!
Regards the 'Service bulletin' it probably wouldn't help someone like me but if there's a pdf of it around I'd certainly have a look.
As to the RW'er it seems that this one of mine being an older one may actually prove better than the later alternatives. It certainly is promising that you've not had to swap one. It maybe more like the LG/Hitashi drives used in earlier recorders which have not suffered in this way (not counting the circuit board issues)
The MH300 was a shop's old stock model (sealed, delivery date Nov05 on box) though only a year old in use.
To be clear on the replacements :- the QAL0651, QAL0704, would defineatly require firmware updates. Same for the PDM0120ACC1E in addition to modding to fit.
Do you think if I could ever get one, a GDA-4163B could be changed without any firmware update. Are these units likely to reject even a like for like replacement? (Difficult for you say I know.)
Cheers.
andywilks

Post by andywilks »

Checking JVC parts online- QAL0704 which is what you need does have a replacement listed now despite what the pdf says. priced at 69+carr+vat. I assume due to necessity they have re sourced some units. These should be a straight swap, although they will likely suggest a firmware update is done.
I would ask our TLO before supplying one to check the latest info on what is needed if you were wanting to order one.
shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

Thanks again Andy for the info, hopefully JVC will make a replacement DVD/HDD before it goes, I'm way to reliant on it at the moment!
nealjane

MH300 dvd drive

Post by nealjane »

Ive just bought one of these 2nd hand off ebay a couple of weeks ago. everything was fine until i tried the DVD drive last night!

it played the first dvd but with a lot of errors and searching, and then wont play some at all.

had a quick look inside and the dvd drive is as follows -

PMD0120ACC1E [03a 00282] shown on the side of the drive.

[Seller told me he had no problems with the drive, so im assuming its damage caused in transit.....pants!]

Anyhow, would like to get it fixed as ive grown quite attached to the machine in a couple of weeks [with the extra additions in comparison to my philips hdrw720 [which has been a great machine] which ive also had to replace a drive on! - what is it with these machines - ive never had a drive die on me before in a pc or mac!]

Anyhow -

Andy would be grateful for your advice, im happy to replace the drive myself - but it sounds as if i wont be able to do any firmware upgrades without getting jvc involved [which i imagine to be costly!!]

would i need to get a new PMD0120ACC1E? theyre 130 quid on the jvc parts website [- probably more thasn the machines worth to be honest]

....may be better looking for another machine on ebay to use for parts?? although i take it theres no guarantee of it being the correct drive!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

more drive info: [s/n of drive 0120a 061501642, also states: drive rev 004, and also :03A 00282]
shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

nealjane I'd be interested to know when the mh300 was made. I think the sticker at the right on the back should say on the bottom line i.e. 07/2006. I'm going from memory but I think its like that.
shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

A problem I've noticed is a when using ext.DVB tuner, using RGB scart, a faint vertical line can sometimes be seen run from right to left across the picture, at a rate of about 1.5 seconds.
It usually only visible in dark sequences and esp. in credits where a black background is used.
It's not very bad, and can vary in it's appearances. I've used differnt DVB boxes, and scart cables. Cables are pretty good like thomson, cambridge audio, pure, all well shielded.
It could be an interferance issue, from power leads (no herringbone) but I wondered if it has been seen by others.

I don't think I've ever seen it using the front s-video port for vhs dubbing.
nealjane

Post by nealjane »

cant check it the moment as its at my parents house - it was supposed to be a xmas present that i ought off ebay 2nd hand! andys checked the current price of the dvd's and theyre over £100!! so im not going to bother changing it at that price!
[-its only really needed as a pvr to be honest so its not a great loss] it was bought about 14 months ago.
shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

Firstly Thanks very much Andy for the JVC Service Info, very useful.
:D
Does anyone know which serial No. on the MH300 match the PMD drives.
Ta
video99

Replacement DR-MH200 drive

Post by video99 »

One of my DR-MH200 machines (I have five of them) had been taken out of service because the drive was becoming increasingly fussy about the DVD-R disks it would work with, and had stopped working on DVD-RW completely.

I also have a number of DR-M1 DVD recorders, and one of these was scrap due to a strange electronic fault, though it hadn't seen a great deal of use.

So, with nothing to lose, I installed the DR-M1 DVD drive in the DR-MH200. Mechanically it was a tight fit, but it went in. Behold, it worked perfectly! Well it did until I went to close the drive, when it jammed on the pop-down door of the MH200. I added a small piece of thin plastic to the drop-down door, on one of the "down" runner plastic sections, and this allowed the mechanism to close cleanly. This machine has now been used for many hours and has performed flawlessly.

The same trick could possibly be used on a defective DR-MH300. You can pick up defective M1 and M10 machines on eBay for next to nothing, and often the drive will be fine but the power supply or other electronics will be at fault.

Power supplies on all JVC DVD recorders are another subject, but basically capacitors are an issue and should be replaced with high quality low-ESR types. In the DR-M200 (probably 300 too) there is a 27uF 35V capacitor in the primary side of the power supply which causes no-startup, or no-boot problems.